Incisive Counsel For Child Custody Relocation

Moving a large distance or to a different state with your child is already a difficult process. If your child is part of a child custody agreement, moving long distances can also have severe legal consequences.

If you want to move with your child or have received a notice about an upcoming move, our law firm can help. The attorneys at The Law Office of Robert R. Castro have decades of child custody experience and a commitment to fighting for our clients. Our Waldorf, Maryland, law firm helps parents on either side of a relocation case get favorable results. We will investigate the unique circumstances of your child custody agreement and the possible issues that can arise in a family court case.

The Legal Process Of A Relocation

To move with a child who is part of a child custody agreement, the moving parent must have either the other parent's permission or a court order. Maryland has a strict legal procedure for both in state and state-to-state relocation. In most circumstances, the moving parent must give at least 90 days of written advance notice to the other parent before the move.

If the nonmoving parent objects to the move, they must file a petition to a judge to block the move. This petition may then lead to a hearing where each side must present their case on how the move will affect their parental rights. We can help you through the legal procedures and make sure you meet the proper legal obligations.

Maryland Family Court And Child Relocation

If the court decides to hold a hearing about a relocation, they will weigh a variety of factors to decide what is in the child's best interests. The court may decide to make changes to a child custody agreement if the relocation has a large impact on a parent's rights. Our attorneys can build a compelling legal argument that fights for you in a relocation case.

Here are a few questions the courts will ask to determine if a relocation is in good faith:

  • Does the moving parent have a new job?
  • Does the child want to move?
  • Will the move affect the child's well-being?
  • Is the move a retaliatory action against the other parent?

If the courts do decide that a parent can move, the relocating parent must propose a fair visitation schedule. The court may also ask both or a single parent to pay for visitation travel costs and transportation.

Get Free Legal Advice For A Lawyer

Our attorneys can check your case and give you an idea of what you can expect. Call us now at 301-658-7502 or send us an email to set up your free consultation.